Have you ever looked in the mirror and decided not to go out because you had a breakout? Everyone has experienced acne breakouts atleast one point in your life. However, when it comes to having a breakout and backing out of something you’ve planned, people just like to get covered up with makeup or cream and that becomes your identity. Various studies have proved that intense acne can cause anxiety, poor self-image, and decreased quality of life, leading to decreased morale.
Acne occurs when hair follicles get clogged with oil and dead skin cells, causing whiteheads, blackheads and pimples which eventually lead to a mark when not treated timely.
Acne is caused by a gram-positive bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes. A lot of this bacteria is always existent on the skin, but it’s only when the conditions are conducive that this bacteria enters the skin and causes an infection. The bacteria thrive in an oily, humid and oxygen-less environment. When the sebaceous glands produce excess sebum, the oil clogs the pores further and creates an oxygen-less habitat, thus making way for the bacteria to enter inside the skin and cause an infection.
What are the reasons for excessive sebum production causing acne?
- Hormones – Hormonal changes during puberty, in particular, can trigger the sebaceous glands to enlarge and release larger quantities of sebum, thereby causing acne.
- Diet – Studies conducted by Harvard Health state that, diet can affect hormones that can in turn trigger acne. Milk and food with high sugar content may increase insulin levels, which can alter other hormones at the same time and hence affect the health of the skin.
- Stress – Stress directly does not cause acne but pre-existing acne can further worsen with an increase in stress.
- Genetics – It is very likely for a child to be affected at their early stages if both their parents had acne
- Certain medications – Drugs containing corticosteroids, testosterone or lithium may trigger acne and make it worse.
What are the best practices to avoid acne and maintain healthy skin?
Skin is the layer which is exposed to the environment directly and needs to be taken care of and maintained well. A daily skincare routine with an appropriate diet is of utmost importance.
- Cleanse, tone and moisturise every morning and evening daily.
- Apply sunscreen before stepping out irrespective of the weather.
- Do not smoke. Smoking causes quick ageing of the skin, giving rise to wrinkles in the early stages of life.
- A healthy diet, as well as an intake of plenty amount of water, helps in keeping the skin fresh and hydrated.
- Uncontrolled stress alters hormones which may trigger the production and spread of acne. Good sleep, physical exercise and doing things that increase the happy hormone levels must be encouraged to reduce stress.
How to treat acne?
Despite having a proper skincare routine and taking care of the skin with sheer importance, there are still chances to have an acne breakout which may be due to many unpredictable causes like a sudden change in climate, the onset of the menstrual cycle, etc.
With growing awareness about acne and its causes in the current times, we are moving towards an era to treat acne in the best possible way. This would include products that cure ace most naturally from within, using ingredients obtained from plants. Few herbal ingredients are proven to have beneficial effects on the skin are :
- Neem – A popular ancient Ayurvedic herb which is highly beneficial for skin health. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, making it a suitable cure for acne.
- Tulsi – Tulsi has anti-microbial characteristics which prevent the production of acne and scarring that comes with it. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which deflate the redness associated with acne and further soothe the skin.
- Vacha – Extracts of Vacha control skin infections because of their anti-inflammatory and cytotoxic characteristics which generate glowing skin. Vacha particularly has antibacterial properties acting against Propionibacterium acnes thereby preventing and controlling acne.
- Peepal latex – Having healing attributes which bring back the skin to its normal texture post-acne breakout, Peepal latex is now used in various formulations to cure acne.
Extracts from a few of these natural ingredients combined appropriately in the Plant Science Anti Acne Cream give a perfect formulation to bring about a therapeutic effect on the skin. These chemical-free substances are carefully obtained from nature, after which our scientific team performs intensive research and testing over time to obtain secondary metabolites which are found to be effective against acne. Having proven to provide apt results, this cream helps in bringing back the skin to its most natural form. Applying this cream to the acne lesions twice a day gives the best outcome. With acne reducing after each use, get going with your everyday plans, step outside with complete assurance and find yourself in the best version of your skin.